Where to Apply for Medicaid and Medicaid Home Care in New York City

.    Changes in how people apply for and receive Medicaid personal care services occurred in September 2012, followed by major changes for how all people under age 65 applied for Medicaid in 2014, when the NY State of Health Exchange was launched to accept Medicaid applications under the Affordable Care Act.  

There are 2 main ways of accessing Medicaid, depending on age, Medicare status, and some other factors.

A.    People age 65+ or younger if they are disabled and have Medicare  -- they apply for Medicaid at offices of New York City's Medicaid program is run by the Human Resources Administration (HRA)  Medical Insurance and Community Services Administration (MICSA). 

B.  People under age 65 who do not have Medicare, and those who have Medicare and live with and take care of a dependent child or other relative apply on the NYS of Health Exchange.   

 * * *

A.   Age 65+, or under 65 with a disability and receive Medicare --

There are two networks of offices to apply for Medicaid in the community, depending on whether you are seeking Medicaid to enroll in a Managed Long Term Care plan:

         (1)   Community Medicaid offices -  process applications for Medicaid with a "spend-down," the Medicaid Buy-In
for People with Disabilities
, and the Medicare Savings Program  

          (2)  Home Care Services Program (CASA) - DO NOT FILE application directly with any CASA office.  Instead 

A.  WHERE TO FILE Medicaid applications for adults age 21+ who have Medicare and who will be seeking Medicaid Managed Long Term Care services :

HRA--HCSP Central Medicaid Unit 

785 Atlantic Avenue, 7th Floor

Brooklyn, NY 11238                              T: 929-221-0849

Please see NYC Medicaid Alert dated January 3, 2013 explaining the relocation of the Central Medicaid Unit and other home care services programs within HRA.

B.  WHERE TO File Medicaid applications and M11q forms, for those EXCLUDED from Managed Long Term Care and seeking "regular" personal care or housekeeping services -- 

  1. those who need only Housekeeping services - maximum 8 hours/week, not full personal care, or
  2. in the Nursing Home Transition, OPWDD or TBI Waivers, or
  3. do NOT have Medicare and are not in a "mainstream" Medicaid managed care plan, so are not required to enroll in an MLTC plan or
  4. under age 21, or
  5. in hospice care (and are excluded from enrolling in MLTC)
NYC HRA Home Care Services Program
          109 East 16th Street, 5th Floor,
          New York, NY 10003                                TEL 212-824-0706   FAX 212-896-8814 
See more info at Applying for Medicaid Personal Care Services in New York City - BIG CHANGES SEPTEMBER 2012

3.     Hospitals often apply for Medicaid for people admitted for inpatient care.  They apply directly to the Hospital Eligibility Unit at the main administrative offices at  785 Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn NY, or through the NYS of Health Exchange.

4.    Nursing Home Medicaid -- Since 2006 changes in the law, you may only apply for Medicaid nursing home coverage once you have been admitted to a nursing home.  

HRA--HCSP Central Medicaid Unit 

785 Atlantic Avenue, 7th Floor

Brooklyn, NY 11238                              T: 929-221-0849

B.       NYState of Health Exchange --

Apply online for Medicaid if you do not have Medicare, or if you have   Medicare and have a dependent child or other relative living with you. 

C.      Other Medicaid (MICSA) contacts -- Contacts at the main MICSA administrative offices are in these lists --

SEE department head contacts obtained 3/2014 - dated Dec. 2013 -- Full list  and Directors/Unit list.  (Dec. 2013)  If you have corrections, please notify us by e-mail.     Also see this news article about the Medicaid headquarters' May 2013 move to Brooklyn.

   Unit HRA MICSA (Medicaid) Liason Name     New Contact Info
Managed Care Client Services                                          

212-273-0062 (phone)

Recipient Restriction Unit

929-221-0859/60 (phone)

Eligibility Information Services (EIS) 929-221-0865 (phone)
Medicaid Transportation 929-221-0840/41 (phone)
Medicaid Third Party Health Insurance Unit

212-630-1160(phone)                                                                          929-221-0842/43 (phone)
917-639-0675 (fax)
718-636-7767 (fax)

Medicaid Reimbursement          Evadne Duff (Homecare)  

929-221-0845 (phone non-home care)
929-221-1193 (phone home care)
718-636-7750 (fax home care)


Maria Rivera

Graciela Mathews

Angel Phifer-Brown (Fax Unit)

Fax Unit Number

929-221-0833 (phone)

929-221-0838 (phone)

929-221-0835 (phone)

917-639-0645 (fax - NO CHA

D.      Other pathways to Medicaid --

This article was authored by the Evelyn Frank Legal Resources Program of New York Legal Assistance Group.


Article ID: 79
Last updated: 18 Nov, 2015
Revision: 14
Medicaid -> Getting Started -> Where to Apply for Medicaid and Medicaid Home Care in New York City